What This Video:
When your toenails start turning white or yellow, and become thick, start crumbling around the edges, and produce a strong odor…
…it means you have a Toenail Fungus Infection.
The good news is, there are home treatments that can quickly get rid of it (regardless of how bad your fungus infection is)…
The bad news is, if left untreated, it can cause extensive damage to your nail, and will eventually spread and infect your other toenails, making it 10X harder to treat.
With that said – let’s start by examining the causes:
Causes of Unsightly Toenail Fungus
Vary From Person to Person…
While fungus occurs throughout the human body naturally…
It can manifest in the form of a toenail fungus infection when there is an overgrowth/imbalance.
It’s also common for fungus to enter through small openings on your feet or through the space between your nail and your toe.
Some potential causes and risk factors of toenail fungus include:
- Exposing your toes to dark, dark environments like gym shower floors.
- Producing excessive sweat.
- Skin conditions or skin injuries that leave openings in the skin.
- See all the causes of fungus under (or on) your toenails..
Things to Consider When Picking
a Toenail Fungus Treatment…
Because of it’s erratic nature, treatments work differently from person to person.
Some people swear by natural, homeopathic remedies due to their being generally harmless or symptom-free.
Other people prefer simple, over-the-counter medications….
And some opt for medical or surgical options.
To decide which is best for you, you should consider the following 3 factors:
Severity of Your Toe Fungus Infection
Severity ranges from mild to severe. Above is a sample of picture showing the variability in infections (from left: mild, moderate, severe).
These include variables such as your job, choice of footwear, and lifestyle choices. Certainly, having to work in a warm environment all day with closed shoes may require you to take a more drastic approach to treatment.
Emotional impact is not dependent on severity:
Someone might be significantly affected by a mild infection while someone else might be only mildly impacted by a significant infection.
Consider how the TOENAIL fungus impacts your daily life and emotions. Are you embarrassed, ashamed, or depressed about your toenails?
If so, consider a stronger type of fungus treatment.
Powerful, Natural Remedies That Can Be Done at Home to Treat Your Toenail Fungus Infection
Here are some options that many people have found effective:
- Introduce healthy probiotics – Increase healthy gut bacteria by eating yogurt and…
- Apply or ingest vinegar – Use apple cider vinegar by applying it topically, soaking your feet in it, or drinking it…
- Change your diet – Include foods such as onions, garlic, carrots, raw honey, and coconut oil while omitting foods such as…
- See more: 9 incredibly effective natural home remedies.
Some Unexpected Over the Counter
Remedies for Fungal Toenails:
Try these potent methods that you can create at home using over the counter ingredients:
- Vicks Vaporub – Rub it on your infected toenail using a cotton swab or q-tip…
- Listerine – Create a listerine soaking bath with…
- Cornmeal – Combine cornmeal with water to create a soaking bath…
- More over the counter cures for fungal nail infections.
Prescription Strength or Surgical Options
Important: Trial these toenail fungus treatments after the home remedies and over the counter solutions. You will need to see your doctor to initiate these treatments.
- Oral anti-fungal medications – Take these orally but as with all prescription strength medications rare side effects do exist including skin rash and liver damage. Some examples are Fluconazole, Terbinafine, and Griseofulvin.
- Nail lacquers – Apply this daily for a week, then remove with alcohol. Apply again until the toenail fungus infection clears.
- Laser surgery – Your podiatrist will see you in his or her office to perform this treatment. Although safe and sometimes effective, laser surgery involves time and is costly.
Maintaining a Healthy Environment That
Encourages Clear, Fungus-Free Nails…
While you are treating your toenail fungus, it’s absolutely crucial to maintain a healthy living environment to ensure that you don’t get re-infected.
Here are things you should do:
- Frequently clean and wash your toenails – Use soap and water to wash and then thoroughly dry your feet on a regular basis.
- Keep toenails trimmed – Keep nails short but also thin out your toenails by using a file across the surface.
- Always wear shoes in public places – Keep your feet protected from other fungal infections that may be lurking in places such as swimming pools, gyms, and public bathrooms.
- Look here for 7 vital prevention tips.